sleeplessnightsreviews

Sleepless Nights Romance Reviews

"Staying up late for the next happily ever after!" I love my romance novels and I like reviewing them. I also like studying politics and history.
What Once Was Perfect  - Zoe York Rating: 4/5
Steam: 4/5

I have a received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review!

What Once Was Perfect is Zoe York's debut novel and the start of her Wardham series. Man what a great way to start a new series and an exciting new career! This book was a delightful read about two people in dire need of a second chance with each other.

Summary:

Laney Calhoun is a successful Canadian doctor living in Chicago and for the last ten years, she has banned love from her life. The reason? A messy break-up with the love of her life, Kyle Nixon. Ever since, her relationship with men has been distant if not utilitarian. She's even avoided spending time at home with her family in Wardham, Ontario because of the painful memories.

Unbeknownst to her, Kyle Nixon has also been having a rough time dealing with losing Laney. It's taken him a long time to realize who really was to blame for most of the breakup and now he's come to terms with it. He also wants to see Laney again.

Thankfully for both of them, there are meddling mothers and a too-concerned small town-ers there to point both of them towards the right path.

What I Liked:

I'm glad Miss York followed her calling to write romance novels, because she is excellent at it! What Once Was Perfect is a shorter read, but the characters were introduced and fleshed out masterfully. Even the secondary characters, who only had a couple of lines and mentions in the book, stood out because they weren't your generic stock characters. I'm actually really excited to see more of the good people of Wardham in her next three books because of this.

I really loved the first chapter where Lacey was remembering all the painful memories of her relationship with Kyle. I'm a big fan of angst in my romance novels and this, for me, was just the right amount. I got to see and understand where Lacey was coming from with her whole stand about banning love from her life 5ever. This made me more excited to see how she was going to be reunited with Kyle! Actually, the first chapter, despite being sad, also had its funny moments. Zoe York has given Lacey such a funny, warm and captivating voice that it made me enjoy that little trip down memory lane.

If you're looking for something with a little bit more steam, What Once Was Perfect does not disappoint. Doesn't matter that this is a shorter read. Every time Lacey and Kyle got together, the air just sizzled and there was so much tension and chemistry between those two!

Mentions of suicidal deer and that little exchange between Lacey and the border guard were also wonderfully funny.

What I Disliked:

Not a dislike, but I actually wanted to learn more about Wardham, just to get a feel for it. I have never lived in a small town (the smallest town I've set foot in for a couple of hours is Stavely, AB) so I always like to read a little bit about what the town is about.

This is a funny thing to not like but I can't figure out who the next story is going to be about! I guess this means I have to stay tuned and see what Ms. York is going to publish next! Aaaah!

Final Thoughts:

I thought this was an excellent debut book! It showcases Ms. York's storytelling strengths and is overall a very enjoyable book. It makes me excited to see what she's going to release next. If you are a fan of small town contemporary romances about second chances with a good dose of steam, What Once Was Perfect should definitely be on your "to read" list this summer!

Huge thanks to Zoe York for giving me a copy of this wonderful book!

This review is a part of my Canadian Authors Review-A-Thon. Click here to see more reviews!