sleeplessnightsreviews

Sleepless Nights Romance Reviews

"Staying up late for the next happily ever after!" I love my romance novels and I like reviewing them. I also like studying politics and history.
Untie My Heart - Judith Ivory
Rating: 4/5
Steam: 5/5

What I Liked:

This is my first Judith Ivory book and aside from the reviews on Goodreads, I didn’t know what to expect. I’m actually pleasantly surprised at how much I liked Untie My Heart. The premise of the story was incredibly amusing and quite interesting. Who knew a wayward lamb could cause so many things?

I enjoyed Emma Hotchkiss a lot. She’s incredibly funny and resilient and knows exactly what it is that she wants from life. Emma definitely takes the initiative in reaching her goals regardless of whether her actions might be questionable. She also knows what she wants when it comes to love. She wants a marriage and isn’t shy about telling Stuart about it.

Often, we see novels where the general consensus is that love is foolish, naive, and rare thing and this is often done to set up the main romance relationship as true and everlasting. It was refreshing to focus on how each of the characters got around to realizing their feelings for each rather than battling the cynical ton mentality about love and happiness.

I also really liked Stuart. The man was hot and charming and sweet and sighh. I think he counts as an alpha male, so if they’re not your cup of tea, you might not like Untie My Heart very much. I liked how loyal he was to his mother and I liked the fact that underneath his crankiness (and who wouldn’t be in his position), he was generally a pretty good guy.

My favourite thing about Untie My Heart was the sexual tension… and just the tension in general. The sexual tension was palpable and honestly, Emma and Stuart being in the same room was enough for the tension to come alive. Both Emma and Stuart are both headstrong characters used to being in control of the situation, so when one asserts dominance over the other, sparks usually happen.Then there was the actual tension about where their relationship was going and how it was going to get to the happy ending that also made the story more interesting.

What I Disliked:

The point of view shifts at some parts of the book were confusing. I got lost at times, especially when the ‘he’ and ‘she’ were thrown around left, right and centre. I had to go back a couple of times to figure out who was talking.

I liked the chair scene. I liked that entire chair scene except for the actual sex part. I have read some reluctant seductions or whatever you want to call them, but Emma’s acquiescence about wanting it as much as Stuart did felt forced. And they kept bringing it up throughout the book that it made me feel uncomfortable. That scene by the clock did resolve some issues, but still something was seriously off about the chair scene so it bothered me throughout.

Overall:

Judith Ivory’s Untie My Heart is a wonderful and refreshing historical read that is perfect for anyone looking for a more substantial story. If you’re a fan of Judith McNaught or Julie Garwood but are looking for a slightly fluffier read with some oomph, Judith Ivory might just be the thing.(Cross-posted on Sleepless Nights Reviews)

What I Liked: